Oct 29, 2012

Apple Sausage Breakfast Bake



When I was pregnant with my son I was on a high protein/low carb diet. Naturally I ate a lot of eggs. (I am so happy to know that eggs are good for you!) One day, tired of the ordinary fried eggs or quick omelets I was eating, I searched online for an egg bake that was not laden with carbs like potatoes or bread. Finding nothing, I thought to myself, Why not use apples? So I created my own breakfast bake that has been a big hit wherever I've served it. The sausage, cinnamon, and apples kind of remind me of french toast, breakfast sausage, and sautéed apples all mixed together. Its perfect for a fancy brunch, or can be made for a convenient family breakfast by baking in advance and then refrigerating or freezing serving size portions to reheat in the morning. This recipe serves at least 12, but it is easy to make only half a recipe for a small family. I usually end up making it for a brunch style supper then we eat the leftovers for breakfast the following mornings.

If you've been following my blog you know I'm a big breakfast person and I'm passionate about families starting their days on good quality breakfast dishes as versus sugary breakfast cereals and bars made of highly processed grains. This Apple Sausage Breakfast Bake has become another great addition to my healthy breakfast recipe list. It leaves me feeling full all morning with each serving supplying a whopping 18 grams of protein (calculated when prepared with homemade turkey sausage.)  (To see more of my healthy breakfast recipes go to my recipe index).

Apple Sausage Breakfast Bake

1 lb bulk turkey breakfast sausage, homemade turkey sausage, or bulk pork sausage*
1 medium onion, chopped
2 green apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons whole cane sugar, real maple syrup, or regular sugar**
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup milk
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
12 eggs

Brown sausage of choice with onions. If using turkey sausage you may need to add a tablespoon or two of a healthy fat to the pan (like butter, olive oil, or coconut oil). Pork sausage may need to be drained of excess fat. 

In a medium sized bowl toss the apples with sugar and cinnamon. In a greased 9x13 inch baking pan layer the sausage and onions, apples, and cheese. Wisk milk, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and mix well. Slowly poor egg mixture over the other ingredients. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until puffy and set in the center.

*I've been doing more research on pork and some studies show that pork can be bad for you if not prepared by traditional/old fashioned curing or smoking methods (sometimes labeled as "uncured"). Stay tuned for my complete post on the topic of pork.

**Can be omitted if you are diabetic or trying to avoid sugar altogether, although the subtle sweetness really does add. I have not tried using Stevia, but I imagine it would work fine.

Preparation time: 25 minutes. Bake time: 35 minutes. Servings: 12.

This recipe can be cut in half and baked in a small pan like an 8x8, or 9 inch pie plate. The bake time is about the same.

Note: To be completely Nourishing Traditions approved use unbleached flour and a natural sweetener.


Search terms:
Low carb egg bake
Egg bake for a crowd
Nourishing Traditions egg bake
Healthy breakfast egg bake casserole

0 comments:

Post a Comment