Jan 31, 2013

Grain-Free Strawberries 'n Cream Porridge

I have determined that if you have to go gluten-free, grain-free, or paleo, using coconut flour is the way to go. Of course, that's easy for me to say because I love anything that comes from the coconut. You're out of luck if you don't like coconut :-).


Coconut flour is cheaper per pound than the gluten-free grain that I've found, and way cheaper than almond meal. Plus you also use less, so a pound of coconut flour goes even farther than grain flour. I get mine from Tropical Traditions. Wait till they're having a sale or free shipping to get the best deal.

Since I am trying to do my very best to only eat grains that have been properly prepared (to improve digestion and neutralize any nutrient blockers) by either soaking or souring with my sourdough starter, coconut flour comes in handy when I haven't planned well. I also really like the flavor and texture, so sometimes choose to make something with coconut four instead of a grain.  I came up with this recipe the other day and thought I'd share it with y'all since it's so easy. 


And pretty.

I had lots of fun taking the pictures.

Another cool thing about this recipe as that it can be dairy-free. People who have intolerances and think they "can't eat anything fun" anymore should think again!

Grain-Free Strawberries 'n Cream Porridge

1 1/2 cups milk of choice (dairy milk, coconut milk or almond milk)
6 Tablespoons coconut flour
2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
1 Tablespoon coconut oil or butter
1/2 - 2/3 cup chopped strawberries (about 4 or 5 medium berries)

In a small saucepan whisk together the first 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil and stir about 3 minutes until thick and creamy. Stir in strawberries. Serve warm.




Preparation time: 4 minutes. Cook time: 5 minutes. Servings: 2.

Search terms:
strawberries and cream no oatmeal 
dairy-free, grain-free, gluten-free, nut-free breakfast

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful and so easy to make! I think I will be making this soon. I am in such a breakfast rut, this will be perfect! I am following you on your social media! Thanks for joining GFF!

    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!


    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have another gluten free mouth to feed (Mercy!) as of today and she LOVES coconuts so this will hopefully be a hit...I'll keep you posted:) Thanks for this great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Made a batch tonight. One for a quick dinner and saved some for breakfast! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would this work without the eggs? My son is allergic to egg but this is something he would love!

    ReplyDelete