May 24, 2013

Grain-free Fried Green Tomatoes



The first time I heard of fried green tomatoes I had mixed feelings. I love fried things, but green tomatoes? They sounded like they could be bitter and gross. 

Not so! They are delicious! I had mine for breakfast (I think out of the box with my breakfasts since I gave up all boxed cereal), but it would be a great side dish for dinner with some meat as the main course and a light salad.

I make my fried green tomatoes with coconut flour, which is a great grain and gluten-free starch. I find the mild flavor of coconut flour lends itself well to frying. I love the coconut flour I get from Tropical Traditions. Coconut flour is my favorite grain-free flour substitute. 

Grains are common digestive irritants (even though most people don't realize this or know the signs) so I like to use coconut flour when I can as I am working on restoring my gut health due to some illnesses in the past. 

This recipe is suitable for most special diets including grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, primal and paleo diets.


Grain-free Fried Green Tomatoes

1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika, optional
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 large green tomato cut into 1/4 inch slices
2-4 tablespoons coconut oil, palm shortening, or nitrate-free bacon grease

Combine the first four ingredients in a shallow bowl. Dip the tomato slices in the beaten egg, then into the coconut flour mixture.

Heat a skillet for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Fry tomato slices till light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve immediately.

Preparation time: 5 minutes. Cook time: 10 minutes. Servings: 3-4.

4 comments:

  1. Hubby is going fishing soon and I am craving pan-fried trout. Have you tried frying fish with coconut flour? If so, can I leave out the egg? I am allergic.
    We traditionally mixed flour, salt and pepper, maybe a bit of garlic granules in a bag and shook the fish up before frying. No egg, not much mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm...fresh fish! I made tilapia fillets just as you described - coated in coconut flour and the seasonings (I also added garlic powder), without the egg. It turned out delicious!

      Delete
  2. I am an avid reader who likes engaging content. That's why I am here. Your original views on this topic are refreshing and interesting. You've done a great job of expressing your views. Thank you.
    happy wheels
    super mario bros
    pacman
    agario

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcomes to google terminal keep sharing such ideas in the future as well.
    google snake this was actually EARN TO DIE
    what i was looking for,and i am glad to came here! AGE OF WAR 2
    Hi! I’ve been reading your blog for a while HAPPY WHEELS
    I want you to thank for your time of this wonderful read!!! Slitherio
    Amazing insight you have on this, Slither io This article always blew me BIG FARM

    ReplyDelete